Tuesday, May 21, 2013

How to enable debugging on Garmin ANT Agent

I had a problem where the Garmin ANT Agent would connect to my Forerunner 910XT and try and sync up with new activities, only to discover that it would fail with "Downloading fitness data failed" error message.

I scourged the internet high and low to find a solution, but most of them involved resetting my watch to factory defaults. Which I did not want.

After a while, I found a recipe for enabling debugging on a Mac here. But this did not help me, as I am using a Windows 7 machine.

So fiddling a bit about, I managed to get debugging up and running by doing these steps:
  1. Click "Start Menu" and type in "regedit.exe"
  2. Go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Garmin\Garmin ANT Agent(tm)\Settings"
  3. Create a new entry of type "Binary Value" with the name "ShowDebug"
  4. Set the value to "01"
It should look something like this:


Now restart your ANT Agent and there should be loads of debug files located in the folder C:\Users\mattis\AppData\Local\Temp\ANTAgent\

"Unfortunately", right after I enabled debugging, the problem fixed itself, so I never had to actually analyze the logs.

No comments:

Post a Comment